Neuro-Urology deals with diseases and functional disorders of the lower urinary tract and of the sexual organs after damage or lesion of the associated neuronal innervation and control.
Neuro-Urology is an innovative and very dynamic specialty field of urology which developed in the 1970s from the field of urological rehabilitation of paraplegic patients. Due to a rapid accumulation of knowledge, considerable treatment success could be achieved over the last decades. For instance, life expectancy after a spinal cord injury could be considerably increased thanks to adequate diagnosis and therapy which allows avoiding late sequelae (e.g. renal damage) caused by associated functional disorders of the lower urinary tract in the long-term.
- Neuro-Urology deals with the diagnosis and therapy of the diseases listed below:
- Functional disorders of the urinary bladder
- Functional disorders of the sphincter
- Erectile dysfunction
- Ejaculatory disorders
- Defecation disorders
- Neuro-Urological diagnosis, advice and possibly therapy might be required or useful for people with problems/diseases listed below (list is not complete):
- Traumatic spinal cord injury
- Status post surgery of spinal column or spinal cord
- Status post vertebral disk surgery
- Spinal cord tumors
- Congenital disorder of the spinal cord (e.g. spina bifida)
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
- Status post traumatic brain injury
- Cerebrovascular disease (e.g. stroke)
- Bladder or sexual dysfunction following pelvic surgery
- Bladder dysfunction of unknown cause
Maintenance of natural bladder function is vital for people suffering from neurological diseases. Diagnostic and therapeutic measures aim at avoiding secondary damage of bladder and kidneys, maintaining urinary continence in every day life and improving sexual dysfunctions. Consequently, the patients’ quality of life can be increased considerably.